Do you have any method to quickly restart and shut down your Windows 8/8.1 computer? Apart from using the hotkey of Alt+F4 to call out the Shut Down Windows and realize these two basic operations at a fast rate, you can also add the two functions to the folder context menu (see the following screen shot). In other words, with this method, you can right-click any folder and select restart or shut down in the context menu to make the operation come alive. Now, this article will tell you how to do it.
Step 1: Open Registry Editor.
1. Simultaneously press Windows key and R key to open Run dialog box, enter regedit in the empty box and click OK.
2. Tap Yes in User Account Control window.
Step 2: Find shell in Registry Editor.
You can find shell through the following two methods.
Step 3: Create a new key named restart in shell and edit its value data as restart.
1. Right-click shell, point to New and select Key.
2. Right-click New Key and choose Rename.
3. Name the new key as restart.
4. Double click Default on the right, edit the value data as restart and tap OK.
Step 4: Create a command in restart and edit the value data as "C:WINDOWSRUNDLL.EXE USER.EXE,EXITWINDOWSEXEC" (without double quotation marks).
1. Right-click restart, point at New and choose Key.
2. Rename the new key as command.
3. Double click Default in command, input the following information as value data and tap OK.
Tips: Until this step, the restart function has been added to the folder context menu.
Step 5: Create another new key called close in shell and set its value data as shut down.
1. Follow the procedures in the Step 3 to create another new key and rename it as close.
2. Double click Default in close, set the value data as shut down and click OK.
For detailed illustration of the above two procedures, you can refer to the picture below.
Step 6: Create a command in close and edit the value data as "shutdown.exe -s -t 0" (without double quotation marks).
1. Use the procedures in the Step 4 to create a command in close.
2. Double-click Default on the right side, enter the following data as the value data and tap OK.
shutdown.exe -s -t 0
After finishing these steps, right-click any folder on the Windows 8/8.1 computer, you can discover that the restart and shut down functions have been added to the context menu. Then, you can click either of them to fast restart or shut down your PC.
Tips: You can also add shutdown to Start Menu, and the concrete method is illustrated in How to Add Shutdown to Start Menu in Windows 8/8.1.
Password Recovery Software