In general, it would take more time to boot and shut down Windows server operational system than client operating systems. There are several reasons, such as system security and design.
Windows server 2012 design is based on Windows 8, so we couldn’t access traditional desktop and find software or tools instantly there. And because of considering Windows server security, when we want to power off Windows server 2012, there is always a dialog asking why we want to close server. Therefore, time is wasted and operation becomes trouble.
Do you want to quick start and shut down Windows Server 2012? Now let’s first learn to make some boot settings for quick boot and disable “Shutdown Event Tracker” program.
Besides reducing boot unnecessary programs when Windows computer starts, three tricks introduced following are effective to boot Windows server 2012 faster too.
1. Move the mouse to the left bottom corner of desktop, and “Start” menu would appear. Click it and open Windows server 2012 Start screen.
2. Open Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Local Security Policy, and Local Security Policy window pops up. Choose Security Settings – Local Policies – Security Options.
3. Double-click “Interactive logon: Do not require Ctrl + Alt + Del”. Select "Enabled" and "Apply", and click "OK" in the pop-up window.
There are two ways to enable Windows server 2012 login automatically. This would also cancel pressing “Ctrl + Alt + Del” at server startup.
Way 1: Manual Configuration to enable Windows Server 2012 automatic login
Run “control userpasswords2” and click the user name for automatic login. Clear the tick of “user must enter user name and password to access computer”, click “OK” and type user password twice.
Way 2: Turn on Windows server 2012 automatic login with script
Please Change Your Password
Open Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Local Security Policy, Local Security Policy window pops up. Choose “Security Settings – Account Policies – Password Policy”, disable “Password must meet complexity requirements”. And set “Maximum password age” to 0.
Windows server computer is different from Windows client computer on operational system shutdown. When try to exit Windows server 2012, a program “Shutdown Event Tracker” would run automatically and check shutdown security. And more time will be needed. But if we disable “Shutdown Event Tracker”, Windows server would shut down normally.
1. Press Windows + R to open “Run” box. Type “gpedit.msc” and click “OK”.
2. Local Group Policy Editor runs. Select Computer Local Computer Policy – Computer Configuration – Administrative Templates – System. You could see “Display Shutdown Event Tracker” at the right side of window.
3. Double-click “Display Shutdown Event Tracker” and choose “Disabled” in the pop-up window. And then click “OK” to exit Group Policy Editor.
Now if shut down Windows server 2012, there would be no Shutdown Event Tracker. Server computer will shut down directly instead of asking for shutdown reasons.
Password Recovery Software