When you forgot the Windows 10 password, the good way is to create a password reset disk to recover the lost password, instead of reinstalling the system. So, this article tells you four ways to create a Windows 10 password reset disk with another Windows computer, Mac computer or Android phone when you forget the login password and are locked out of your computer.
Tips: The ways described in this article also work with Windows 8/7 and Windows server 2016/2012/2008/2003.
iSunshare Windows Password Genius has Windows version, Mac version and Android version which can help you create a Windows password reset disk on another Windows PC, Mac computer or Android phone. Here I only show you how to use it to create a password reset disk in Windows. If you want to create a password disk on a Mac or an Android phone, please see create password reset disk on Mac and create password reset disk on Android phone.
Steps to create a Windows 10 password reset disk with iSunshare Windows Password Genius
Step 1: Download and install iSunshare Windows Password Genius. It can be installed in Windows xp and later version.
Step 2: Insert the USB flash drive to the computer.
Step 3: Run Windows Password Genius, choose USB Device and then click "Begin burning" to create a password disk.
After the password disk creation, you can boot the locked computer from the password disk and then reset the forgotten password. For more details, please see step by step guide to reset Windows password.
Many people don't know that the Windows installation media is an effective password reset tool which can be used to reset the Windows forgotten password, but it can't be used as easily as the premium password tool.
Step 1: Get Windows 10 installation media create tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
Step 2: Insert the USB disk into an accessible Windows pc and run Windows 10 installation media create tool to create a installation media.
Although it's easy to create the USB installation media, it is complicated for many computer users to use this installation disk to reset the forgotten password. So I show you steps to reset the password as below:
1. Boot the locked computer from the USB installation media. See how to boot a computer from USB drive.
2. When the Windows 10 setup program starts, you will see the screen as follows:
3. Follow this instructions to run command prompts: Click Next, select Repair Windows -> select Troubleshoot -> select Advanced Options -> select Command Prompt.
4. In the Command Prompt, run commands shown as below:
Tips: After logging in Windows, you should restore the original file names for them.
5. When the computer restarts and the login screen appears, click icon pointed by the red arrow to launch the command prompt.
6. In the command prompt, run "net user" command shown as follows to reset the forgotten password:
7. Close the command prompt and then you can login with the new password.
Even you are locked out of your Windows 10 computer, if you have a Mac computer, you still can use the Mac computer to create a Windows 10 installation disk to unlock the Windows 10 password.
Steps to create Windows 10 installation disk on Mac computer:
1. Download Windows 10 installation image on the Mac computer from microsoft official site https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
2. Run Boot Camp Assistant, choose "Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk" and then click Next.
3. Insert the USB flash drive to the Mac computer.
4. Choose Windows 10 installation image and click "Continue" to burn the image file to the USB disk.
5. After Windows 10 installation disk creation, you can use the disk to reset Windows 10 password. For the step by step guide, please see way 2.
This way tells you how to create a Windows 10 password reset disk with an Android phone and the iSunshare password software. With this way, you don't need a usb drive or CD/DVD disc and you just need an rooted Android phone and the iSunshare software.
Steps to create Windows password reset disk with Android phone:
1. Download and install WPGenius to the Android phone.
2. Connect the Android phone to the locked computer and set USB computer connection as "Media device (MTP)".
3. Run WPGenius and allow root permission for WPGenius.
4. choose the Phone option and then click the Mount button to set the phone as a Windows Password reset disk.
When you see the tips "Now your phone is a Windows password reset disk", you can boot your computer from it and then reset the Windows password. For more details, please go to User Guide - Reset Windows password with WPGenius.