I just forgot Windows 10 password on my new computer. Can I reset Windows 10 forgotten password just like resetting Windows XP/Vista/7 password in order to access computer again?
Because of new Microsoft account available in Windows 10 login, probably you cannot directly reset forgotten Windows 10 password for your computer with all ways which ever apply to Windows XP/Vista/7 computer. But don't worry you would have no effective way used for windows 10 password reset. As long as you learn how to reset Windows 10 password for Microsoft account and local user accounts respectively here, problems about windows 10 password forgot and reset would not trouble you again.
Get appropriate ideas below to reset your Windows 10 PC/laptop/tablet forgotten password according to account type.
The ways talked in article below also work for Windows 8/8.1 local and Microsoft account password reset.
In Windows 10 computer, you would find Microsoft account works the same as local account. If both of them have been created for Windows 10 login, you can see all of them now on login screen and switch the login user from password-forgotten Microsoft account to local account.
While in Windows 8.1/8 computer, you cannot change the login user so easily. Once you forgot Microsoft account password, only after Microsoft account password reset, can you sign in computer again. Surely, if you have no available local account to use in Windows 10, Windows 10 Microsoft account password reset is also needed.
Option 1: Reset Windows 10 Microsoft Account Password Online
When your Windows 10 Microsoft account password forgot, don’t be worried. Microsoft has provided free service for Microsoft user to change Microsoft account forgotten password online.
The procedure of Windows 10 Microsoft account password reset online is the same to Windows 8/8.1. See How to reset Windows 8 Microsoft account password online.
Option 2: Reset Windows 10 Microsoft Account Password offline with Windows Password Genius
The guide to reset Windows 10 Microsoft Account Password with Windows Password Genius Advanced version is the same as this guide: How to reset Windows Microsoft Account Password offline with Windows Password Genius. Just follow it to reset your Microsoft Account Password with no Internet access.
To reset Windows 10 local account password, believe you have been told the pre-created password reset disk can work. But unfortunately most people have not realized the importance of reset disk and prepared it previously. Until forgot Windows 10 local account password, they find that an effective and safe password recovey tool is so critical.
But don't be anxious if you really have no password reset disk. Command prompt and professional Windows password tool, iSunshare Windows Password Genius Advanced could help to reset forgotten local account password effectively without data loss at anytime.
Key 1: This password tool told here would create a Windows password reset disk just by burning program ISO image file into writable USB flash drive (CD/DVD-ROM). And this reset disk could safely reset administrator and other local user password for locked Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows server systems.
Key 2: Only with three simple steps, you can easily reset Windows 10 local user password.
So now let's see how this iSunshare program reset Windows 10 forgotten password.
Step 1: Burn iSunshare program ISO image file to make a bootable password reset disk.
1. In order to reset user acocunt password successfully, Windows Password Genius advanced full version is recommemded to install and run on an accessible computer.
2. Besides iSunshare password tool, removal device is also required for Windows 10 password reset disk creation. Now you can choose writable USB flash drive or CD/DVD-ROM.
Step 2: Boot Windows 10 computer from password reset disk.
1. Plug password reset disk (eg. USB drive) you made into locked Windows 10 computer.
2. Start computer and when you see vendor logo, press the boot option key.
3. Until Boot Menu appears, highlight the USB drive you plugged and press Enter to boot Windows 10 from it.
If above operations cannot successfully boot your Windows 10 from removal password reset disk, probably secure boot is not disabled in the UEFI firmware settings. Please access UEFI BIOS in Windows 10 computer to check. If not, disable secure boot at first and then follow.
If it is a cd recovery disk, please refer to set computer boot from CD drive.
Step 3: Reset Windows 10 forgotten local user or admin password.
1. When Windows Password Genius Advanced program runs successfully on locked computer, confirm Windows 10 system and select local user in user list you want to reset password. Then click Reset Password and tap Yes button.
2. You would see Windows 10 local user password become blank in user list. It means you have reset local user password to be blank. Now tap on Reboot button and eject recovery disk from Windows 10 computer. Until computer restarts from hard drive, you would successfully finish Windows 10 local user password reset on locked computer.
This is a method that can reset Windows 10 forgotten password with Windows installation CD and command prompt on login screen. By running Command Prompt instead of Utility Manager on locked login screen with help of installation CD, you could easily reset Windows 10 forgotten password or add new administrator with command line.
Step 1: Set command prompt run on locked Windows 10 login screen.
1. Set locked Windows 10 computer boot from Windows 10 DVD.
Before you boot Windows 10 from installation DVD, please confirm that UEFI and Secure Boot are disabled.
2. Open Command Prompt with Shift + F10 keys.
3. Run commands to replace the full utilman.exe with cmd.exe. And before replacement, make a copy of utilman.exe would let you restore it later.
4. Remove Windows 10 installation DVD and restart Windows 10.
5. Once you are on Windows 10 sign-in page, click the Utility Manager icon at the left bottom side to run command prompt instead of utility manager on locked login screen.
Step 2: Reset Windows 10 password or create new local user with command prompt.
If everyting goes well, now command prompt have been run on login screen.
1. Type follow commands in Command Prompt window to reset Windows 10 forgotten local user password.
2. Or you can type following commands to create a new user account and add it to Windows 10 local administrator group.
At last, you would need to reboot Windows 10 computer again from Windows installation CD and restore utilman.exe you have removed from logon screen. Details you can follow article reset Windows 10 local admin password using command prompt.
If you have followed above to reset Windows 10 password with installation disc or Windows Password Genius Advanced step by step, believe Windows 10 forgotten password has been successfully reset/removed. It's time to sign in Windows 10 now.