I just forgot Windows 10 password on my new computer. Can I reset Windows 10 forgotten password just like recovering Windows XP/Vista/7 password in order to access computer again?
Because of new feature in Windows 10 logon settings, probably you cannot reset forgotten password for your Windows 10 computer with all ways which apply to Windows XP/Vista/7 computer. But in summary, as long as you learn how to reset Windows 10 local user password and how to reset Windows 10 Microsoft account password, you would no longer worry about Windows 10 password reset problem on locked PC/laptop/tablet.
Just follow the article below to learn how different ways work depending on Windows 10 login account type. They also work for local account and Microsoft account in Windows 8/8.1.
In Windows 10/8.1/8 computer, you would find you can also login with Microsoft account besides local account. But there is a feature that if you forgot Windows 10 Microsoft account password, generally you cannot switch to login with local account. Only after Windows 10 Microsoft account password reset, Windows 10 access can be allowed. However, you are so lucky because two ways have been proved to effectively reset or change forgotten Microsoft account password without login and data loss.
When your Microsoft account password forgot, don’t be worried. Microsoft has provided free service for Microsoft account user to change forgotten password online.
The procedure of Windows 10 Microsoft account password reset online is the same to Windows 8/8.1. See How to reset Windows 8 Microsoft account password online.
The Guide to reset Windows 10 Microsoft Account Password with Windows Password Genius Advanced version is the same as this guide: How to reset Windows Microsoft Account Password offline with Windows Password Genius. Just follow it to reset your Microsoft Account Password with no Internet access.
To reset Windows 10 local account password, believe you have been told the pre-created password reset disk would work. But unfortunately most people have not realized the importance of reset disk previously. Until forgot Windows 10 lcoal account password, they find that an effective and safe password recovey tool is so critical.
But don't worry if you really have no password reset disk. Command prompt and professioanl password tool, iSunshare Windows Password Genius Advanced could also help to reset forgotten local account password effectively without data loss.
Key 1: This password tool would create a Windows password reset disk just by burning program ISO image file to writable USB flash drive or CD/DVD-ROM. And this reset disk could safely reset administrator and other local user password for locked Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows server systems.
Key 2: Only with three simple steps, you can easily reset Windows 10 local user password.
So now let's see how this iSunshare program working for resetting Windows 10 forgotten password.
Step 1: Burn iSunshare program ISO image file to make a bootable password recovery disk.
1. In order to reset user acocunt password successfully, Windows Password Genius advanced full version is recommemded to install and run on an accessible computer.
2. Besides iSunshare password tool, removal device is also required for Windows 10 password reset disk creation. Now you can choose writable USB flash drive or CD/DVD-ROM.
Step 2: Boot Windows 10 computer from password recovery disk.
Get the bootable password recovery disk you made and plug it into locked Windows 10 computer.
1. If locked computer is preinstalled with Windows 10, now you would need to first disable Secure Boot and set BIOS Boot mode to UEFI and Legacy before changing the Windows 10 boot order.
2. If your computer system is upgrading from Windows 7, you would need to press hot key when computer logo appears to enter BIOS settings, and set first boot media to USB flash drive or CD/DVD-ROM.
Step 3: Reset Windows 10 local user password.
1. When Windows Password Genius Advanced program runs successfully on locked computer, confirm Windows 10 system and select local user in user list you want to reset password. Then click Reset Password and tap Yes button.
2. You would see Windows 10 local user password become blank in user list. It means you have reset local user password to be blank. Now tap on Reboot button and eject recovery disk from Windows 10 computer. Until computer restarts from hard drive, you would successfully finish Windows 10 local user password reset on locked computer.
This is a method that can reset Windows 10 forgotten password with Windows installation CD and command prompt. By setting command prompt run on locked login screen with installation CD, you could easily reset Windows 10 forgotten password or add new administrator then with command line.
Step 1: Set command prompt run on locked Windows 10 login screen.
1. Set locked Windows 10 computer boot from Windows 10 DVD.
Before you boot Windows 10 from installation DVD, please confirm that UEFI and Secure Boot are disabled.
2. Open Command Prompt with Shift + F10 keys.
3. Run commands to replace the full utilman.exe with cmd.exe. And before replacement, make a copy of utilman.exe would let you restore it later.
4. Remove Windows 10 installation DVD and restart Windows 10.
5. Once you are on Windows 10 sign-in page, click the Utility Manager icon at the left bottom side to run command prompt instead of utility manager on locked login screen.
Step 2: Reset Windows 10 password or create new local user with command prompt.
If everyting goes well, now command prompt have been run on login screen.
1. Type follow commands in Command Prompt window to reset Windows 10 forgotten local user password.
2. Or you can type following commands to create a new user account and add it to Windows 10 local administrator group.
At last, you would need to reboot Windows 10 computer again from Windows installation CD and restore utilman.exe you have removed from logon screen. Details you can follow the third option in how to reset Surface 3 tablet password with installation CD.
If you have followed above to reset Windows 10 password with installation disc or Windows Password Genius Advanced step by step, believe Windows 10 forgotten password has been reset/remove. It's time to sign in Windows 10 now.
Password Recovery Software